Hello! I am an enthusiastic researcher at the intersection of computer science, electrical engineering, applied mathematics and theoretical physics. I take advantage of computer science and mathematics to solve challenging problems in science, engineering and technology. Beyond my scientific career, I enjoy from running, climbing, music, photography, studying linguistics and new languages, English literature, history and archaeology. Learn More
2004 - Present
Through my passion, teaching, and working as a researcher at Shahed University, my experience has covered a wide range of topics in computer science, electrical engineering and applied mathematics. My main research interests span a wide range of topics in high-performance computing, programming languages and compilers, distributed systems, computer networks, modelling and simulation, embedded systems, applied mathematics and machine learning.
I have always wanted to (a) create innovative tools to help people become more productive when doing computer programming and mathematical modelling in computer and electrical engineering as well as other fields of science and engineering, and (b) optimise performance of computer systems and computer programs through novel parallelisation techniques and implementing unified software infrastructures.
A comprehensive list of my research interests can be found here.
My research statement can be found here.
A PowerPoint overview of my research projects since 2012 can be found here.
2012 - Present
I adore teaching at university and thus I have designed many courses. I have lectured in both departments of computer engineering (CE) and electrical engineering (EE).
My teaching statement can be found here.
A list of my previous courses is as follows:
● Parallel Algorithms (in CE Dept.)
● Advanced Algorithms (in CE Dept.)
● Parallel and Distributed Simulation (in CE Dept.)
● Modeling and Performance Evaluation of Computer Systems (in CE Dept.)
● Computer Architecture (in EE Dept.)
● Operating Systems (in CE Dept.)
● Hardware/Software Co-Design (in CE Dept.)
● Electrical Circuits II (in EE Dept.)
● Advanced Programming (in CE Dept., and in EE Dept.)
● Logic Circuits (in EE Dept.)
● Internet Engineering (in CE Dept.)
● Web Design and Development (in CE Dept.)
● Linux Systems Programming (in CE Dept.)
● Computer Networks' Lab (in CE Dept.)
● Operating Systems' Lab (in CE Dept.)
● Applications of Computer Science in Dentistry (in Dentistry Dept.)
2012 - Present
● Lecturer, Department of Computer Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
● Lecturer, Department of Computer Engineering, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
● Lecturer, Department of Electrical Engineering, Azad University of Shahr-e Rey, Tehran, Iran
● Lecturer, Department of Computer Engineering, Azad University of Shahr-e Rey, Tehran, Iran
● Lecturer, Department of Computer Engineering, Azad University of Buin Zahra, Buin Zahra, Iran
● Lecturer, Department of Dentistry, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
2005 - Present
I have prepared and presented several technical workshops as follows:
● Web Programming Fundamentals in PHP, Summer 2018, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
● HPC Fundamentals and Parallel Programming, Spring 2017, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
● Fundamentals and Applications of Parallel Discrete Event Simumlation (PDES), Spring 2015 and 2016, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
● Applications of Information Technology (IT) in Pharmaceoutical Industries, Winter 2015, Azad University Pharmaceutical Sciences Branch, Tehran, Iran
● Research on Desktop Grids, Spring 2006, CCGrid2006, Singapore
● Windows Systems Programming, Summer 2005, Azad University of Qazvin, Qazvin, Iran
2006 - Present
I have been providing numerous services to the academic communities as follows:
● HPC Center's Administrator, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran. I have worked for many years in High-Performance Computing (HPC) and I'm now the manager of Shahed University's HPC center where we provide computational services to other departments such as nanoelectronic, optoelectronics, physics and civil engineering.
● Research Director, Parallel & Distributed Systems Lab (PDSL), Department of Computer Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran. I founded this lab in 2014 in collaboration with Prof. Shaahin Hessabi. PDSL conducts research mainly in the fields of Distributed Systems and Parallel Computing. PDSL performs research in all aspects of parallel and distributed systems with a particular emphasis on many-core technology, cloud computing, grid computing, operating systems, parallel algorithms, GPU computing, high-performance network architectures and protocols, and Parallel Discrete Event Simulation (PDES).
● Seminar Advisor, I have supervised some seminars in CE department.
● Researcher, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia. In 2006, I started a short-term collaboration with Prof. Rajkumar Buyya on implementing some services for DotGrid and Alchemi Grid Computing projects.
2001 - 2010
For virtually 10 years, I was developing national online social network services which hosted millions of users. In 2001, I started to develop one of the first blogging services in my home country called IranBlog.com. In 2006, I developed the first Twitter-like service in my country that had Facebook-style social network capabilities named Peyghamak.com. These projects were developed based on distributed computing concepts where the service could scale up on demand. For this reason, I developed a course to teach students with web design and development in university. I was with World Wide Web (W3) since its beginning days.
2002 - Current
I have implemented a large number of software projects and large-scale organizational automations portals, for example, image processing for industrial applications and realtime portals for news agencies.
I have written a textbook in distributed systems, which is currently under final publication with Taylor & Francis, Florida, USA. This book spans over my obtained experience to build different distributed middleware components particularly in Grid and Cloud Computing. It teaches the reader how to construct a complex distributed software infrastructure from the ground-up.
Furthermore, I have a new plan to write two different book titles in Modeling & Simulation. More information will be posted here in the future as soon as they are available in this regard. The list of my books comes as follows:
 A. Poshtkohi, M.B. Ghaznavi-Ghoushchi, Building A Distributed Software Infrastructure for Cloud and Grid, Taylor & Francis (CRC-Press) Publishing, USA, 2019. Link on Google Books
 A. Poshtkohi, M.B. Ghaznavi-Ghoushchi, K. Saghafi, Extreme-Scale Spacetime-Parallel Modeling and Simulation of Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations Using Exponential Integrators, 2019, under preparation.
 A. Poshtkohi, M.B. Ghaznavi-Ghoushchi, K. Saghafi, Optimistic Synchronization and Tool Flow for Massively Accelerating SystemC on Many-Core HPC Clusters, under finalization, 2019.
 A. Poshtkohi, M.B. Ghaznavi-Ghoushchi, K. Saghafi, Computer Modelling and Simulation – A Philosophical and Technological Survey, under finalization, 2019.
 A. Poshtkohi, M.B. Ghaznavi-Ghoushchi, K. Saghafi, Optimistic Modeling and Simulation of Complex Hardware Platforms and Embedded Systems on Many-Core HPC Clusters, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 30:2 (2019), 428-444. (IF=3.971), doi: 10.1109/TPDS.2018.2860014, View Online.
 A. Poshtkohi, M.B. Ghaznavi-Ghoushchi, K. Saghafi, PSML: Parallel System Modeling and Simulation Language for Electronic System Level, Journal of Supercomputing, 75:5 (2019), 2691–2724. (IF=1.532), doi: 10.1007/s11227-018-2682-1, View Online.
 A. Poshtkohi, M.B. Ghaznavi-Ghoushchi, K. Saghafi, The Parvicursor Infrastructure to Facilitate the Design of Grid and Cloud Computing Systems, Computing, 99:10 (2017), 979-1006. (IF=1.654), doi:10.1007/s00607-017-0541-1, View Online.
 M. MollaMotalebi, R. Maghami, A. S. Ismail, A. Poshtkohi, The Efficiency Challenges of Resource Discovery in Grid Environments, Cybernetics and Systems, 45:8 (2014), 671-692. (IF=1.197), doi: 10.1080/01969722.2014.972100, View Online.
 A. Poshtkohi, M.B. Ghaznavi-Ghoushchi, DotDFS: A Grid-based High-Throughput File Transfer System, Parallel Computing, 37 (2011) 114-136. (IF=0.938), doi: 10.1016/j.parco.2010.12.003.
 A. Poshtkohi, A.H. Abutalebi, S. Hessabi, DotGrid: A .NET-based Cross-Platform Software for Desktop Grids, Int. J. Web Grid Serv. 3 (3) (2007) 313-332. (IF=1.071), doi: 10.1504/IJWGS.2007.014955, View Online.
 A. Poshtkohi, M.B. Ghaznavi-Ghoushchi, A Concurrent Framework for High Performance File Transfers in Grid Environments, in: Proceedings of the 3th International Conference on Computer and Electrical Engineering (ICCEE 2010), 16-18 November 2010, Chengdu, China, Download.
 A. Poshtkuhi, A. Abutalebi, L. Ayough, S. Hessabi, DotGrid: A .NET-based Infrastructure for Global Grid Computing, in: Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid, 16-19 May 2006, (CCGrid'2006), Singapore, Download.
 A. Poshtkuhi, A. Abutalebi, L. Ayough, S. Hessabi, DotGrid: A .NET-based Cross-Platform Grid Computing Infrastructure, in: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference On Computing and Informatics 2006 (ICOCI'06), June 6-8, Malaysia, 2006, Download.
Shahed University, Persian Gulf Highway, Tehran, Iran